Thursday, December 5, 2013

Japanese debit cards

When I first came to Japan there was no such thing as debit cards. There was only cash and credit cards and credit cards are almost impossible for foreigners to get in Japan. However, over the last few years internet shopping has become quite popular in Japan, thanks to Amazon and Rakuten. Thus, many banks are starting to get on the debit card wagon. The first company to introduce the debit card system was ebank now known as Rakuten bank. I have a debit card with them for a couple of years but I decided to cancel because I found the 210 yen  deposit and withdraw fee to be extremely expensive and a waste of money.

Now I have a debit card with Resona Bank. They are currently offering two types of debit cards. One is the JAL milage card (yes, you can earn miles by using your own money) the second is just a basic one. The JAL milage card does cost 1000 yen a year to have but it is worth it if you enjoy traveling.

I often use my card to make online purchases in Japan.

However, like most countries you have to be careful where you use your cards in Japan. Last week, I got a phone call from my bank informing me that my debit card info had been stolen and the bank had stopped my card. After researching further I found out that someone had tried to charge a total of 1,000,000 on my account. Luckily, I am poor and I don't have that kind of money in my account.


Anyhow, if you want a debit card in Japan there are options each have their pros and cons. If you are interested in getting a card refer to the links below. (japanese only)


http://www.rakuten-bank.co.jp/card/debit/

http://www.resona-gr.co.jp/resonabank/kojin/service/hiraku/visa_debit/index.html

0 comments: