Monday, February 25, 2013

Being Stopped by the Japanese Police

Let me start out by staying Japan is a great country, otherwise I still wouldn't be living here. However, like any other country Japan does have it flaws. Over the last eight years of living in Japan I have experienced the good and the bad. The worst being the Touhoku earthquake in 2011. Yet, last week comes to a close second. Last week, I was on my way to work like usual. When I got to my local station I saw a couple of police stopping foreign students in front of the ticket gate...  This is quite common for foreigners to be stopped by police to check if they are legally here or not... However, I saw they were busy harassing these foreign exchange students so I went through the gate and headed to my train.

As got on to the train platform the train started to pull up. Once the doors opened I got on the train minding my own business and then suddenly I felt someone pull on my arm and take me off the train. To my surprise it was Tokyo Police, they demanded to see my foreigner registration card. I gave to them to look at and they let me go on my way.

I understand that they do need to check up on some people in order to check their living status in Japan. However, I don`t agree with manhandling someone and pulling them off the train to do so... In the end causing me to be late to work. Once I got to work and discussed this issue with the rest of my non Japanese coworkers they have also stated they have been stopped and asked to show ID`s from the Japanese police. However, my boss a white male said " I guess you brown folks need to know your place, I have never been stopped before... but wait I am white.."

Although his comment was meant to be a joke it was not far from the truth.


Rant over





0 comments: